Jerusalem “The Holy Land”
Dr. James H Robertson
It is not my intent to get you to believe as I believe, nor to be a missionary in any religion, nor to move you from any belief you may have. My sole purpose in writing this paper is to further my education in reading and writing. I do believe in what I write and in what I know to be true. I believe in the ONE Elohim of Yisrael, YAHWEH, blessed be His Name.
I have used many translations in this writing and lean towards the Hebrew Writings and not necessarily in any English or other translations. Although I used the English translations in most of this writing, the Hebrew is translated to the best of the ability of the translators.
My intent is to get you to advance your reading habits, to study the writings that are available to you in this world. Do not close your mind to other beliefs, but make yourself approved by discerning what is reveled to you by Yahweh, blessed be His name.
Do not take what I write here as truth or untruth, prove it to yourselves. READ, understand, ask questions, talk to your Rabbi, LEARN, study. If you believe what I write, so be it, if you don’t believe what I write, so be it, find out for yourselves.
Jerusalem “The Holy Land” Set-apart?
Yerushalayim and Yisra’el has had more rulers than any other city and land in the entire world. Only for Yehudah has Yerushalayim been the capitol city of the nation living in the land, which has occurred in three separate periods in world history.
Yahoshua brought Bnei Yisra’El into the land about 1450 B.C.E. Judges ruled after Yahoshua’s death from 1425 to King Sha’ul, 1095, followed by David, 1050. From 1000 B.C. until the destruction of the first temple in 587 B.C.E., Yerushalayim served as the capitol of the Kingdom of David and of the succeeding kings of Yehudah. From 515 B.C.E. until the destruction of the second temple in 70 C.E., it was again Yisra’el’s capitol city, being completely reunited after the six day war, 7 June 1967.
All the other foreign conquerors and rulers treated Yerushalayim as just a provincial town.
**The Babylonians in the 6th century B.C.E.: the Greeks in the second century B.C.E.: the Romans from 70 to 324 C.E.: the Byzantines in 324 until 614 C.E.: the Persians briefly afterwards: the Arabs in 638 until 1099: the Crusaders 1099 until 1187: the Ayyubids and Mamluks in 1187 to 1517: the Turks from 1517 until 1917: the British from 1917 until 1948. From 1948 until 1967 part of Yerushalayim was ruled by Jordan from the Yahwehite capitol in Amman.**
By going to the only Law Book (TORAH) in the world that claims divine inspiration and infallibility, we see a simple fact of ownership of properties and land areas of the earth. Psalms 24:1, “The earth belongs to Yahweh, And all that fills it – The world and those who dwell in it.”
Understand, this proposition is based on the solid fact of Yahweh’s creation of the earth and universe!
Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth.”
Isaiah 45:12, “I have made the earth, and created man on it. I, My hands have stretched out the heavens, and all their host I have commanded.”
This proves ownership of the earth and all its lands by virtue of Yahweh’s creative acts. Yahweh can do with these lands whatever He will!
Deuteronomy 32:8, “When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance When He separated the sons of Aḏam, He set the boundaries of the peoples According to the number of the children of Yisra’ĕl.”
After the flood two major nations came from Shem, Noah’s eldest son, through who Abraham, the father of both Israel and Arab nations. Yishmael was the firstborn of Abraham’s Egyptian maid Hagar: Yitsḥaq, thirteen years later, was born of Abraham’s wife Sara. A conflict began of which has lasted until this very hour, but which will be resolved by the coming of HaMoshiach. He will “set the bounds of the nations” that all may prosper and be joyous.
What is the root of the problem of these half brothers? Is it because Yishmael feels that because he is the eldest he has the prerogative to rule over his younger brother Yitsḥaq? Esau, who was born before his twin brother Yaʽaqoḇ felt the same. Maybe both felt that they had been cheated. Maybe this is why Esau married into Yishmaels’ family.
Genesis 28:9, “and Ěsaw went to Yishmaʽĕl and took Maḥalath the daughter of Yishmaʽĕl, Aḇraham’s son, the sister of Neḇayoth, to be his wife, besides the wives he had.”
Abraham lived in the city of Ur, Chaldea, Babylon:
(11) And after he brought forth Arpaḵshaḏ, Shĕm lived five hundred years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(12) And Arpaḵshaḏ lived thirty-five years, and brought forth Shelaḥ.
(13) And after he brought forth Shelaḥ, Arpaḵshaḏ lived four hundred and three years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(14) And Shelaḥ lived thirty years, and brought forth Ěḇer.
(15) And after he brought forth Ěḇer, Shelaḥ lived four hundred and three years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(16) And Ěḇer lived thirty-four years, and brought forth Peleḡ.
(17) And after he brought forth Peleḡ, Ěḇer lived four hundred and thirty years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(18) And Peleḡ lived thirty years, and brought forth Reʽu.
(19) And after he brought forth Reʽu, Peleḡ lived two hundred and nine years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(20) And Reʽu lived thirty-two years, and brought forth Seruḡ.
(21) And after he brought forth Seruḡ, Reʽu lived two hundred and seven years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(22) And Seruḡ lived thirty years, and brought forth Naḥor.
(23) And after he brought forth Naḥor, Seruḡ lived two hundred years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(24) And Naḥor lived twenty-nine years, and brought forth Teraḥ.
(25) And after he brought forth Teraḥ, Naḥor lived one hundred and nineteen years, and brought forth sons and daughters.
(26) And Teraḥ lived seventy years, and brought forth Aḇram, Naḥor, and Haran.
(27) And this is the genealogy of Teraḥ: Teraḥ brought forth Aḇram, Naḥor, and Haran. And Haran brought forth Lot.
(28) And Haran died before his father Teraḥ in the land of his birth, in Ur of the Chaldeans.
(29) And Aḇram and Naḥor took wives: the name of Aḇram’s wife was Sarai, and the name of Naḥor’s wife, Milkah, the daughter of Haran the father of Milkah and the father of Yiskah.
(30) And Sarai was barren, she had no child.
(31) And Teraḥ took his son Aḇram and his grandson Lot, son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, his son Aḇram’s wife, and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Kenaʽan. And they came to Ḥaran and dwelt there.
(32) And the days of Teraḥ came to be two hundred and five years, and Teraḥ died in Ḥaran.
It was here that Yahweh made a contract or a covenant with Abram.
Genesis 12:1-3, “And Yahweh said to Aḇram, “Go yourself out of your land, from your relatives and from your father’s house, to a land which I show you.
(2) “And I shall make you a great nation, and bless you and make your name great, and you shall be a blessing!
(3) “And I shall bless those who bless you, and curse him who curses you. And in you all the clans of the earth shall be blessed.”
The Complete fulfillment is contingent on his seed’s possession of and presence in the land.
The Almighty chooses Abraham and his seed:
Genesis 17:19-21, “And Elohim said, “No, Sarah your wife is truly bearing a son to you, and you shall call his name Yitsḥaq. And I shall establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
(20) “And as for Yishmaʽĕl, I have heard you. See, I shall bless him, and shall make him bear fruit, and greatly increase him. He is to bring forth twelve princes, and I shall make him a great nation.
(21) “But My covenant I establish with Yitsḥaq, whom Sarah is to bear to you at this set time next year.”
This is for the purpose of blessing all nations with the knowledge of Yahweh.
Ishmael was given special promises also: “And as for Yishmaʽĕl, I have heard you. See, I shall bless him, and shall make him bear fruit, and greatly increase him. He is to bring forth twelve princes, and I shall make him a great nation.”
Just look at the world map of the Middle East, the vast land area’s that Ishmael (the Arab people) possesses, the northern part of Africa – Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Syria. Oman, Turkey, Iran. In these lands area’s is the world’s richest oil producers controlled by the Arab’s. Power hungry political leaders can be very unjust who not only demand the small portion of land allotted their half brother Yitsḥaq by Yahweh, be given to them, but also are calling for their entire annihilation as a nation, as we have seen in the last few years.
Yahweh Tzevaot, the Creator of the entire universe, decreed in the record to Abraham:
Genesis 12:7, “And Yahweh appeared to Aḇram and said, “To your seed I give this land.” And he built there an altar to Yahweh, who had appeared to him.”
Genesis 13:14, “And after Lot had separated from him, Yahweh said to Aḇram, “Now lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward,”
Genesis 15:18, “On the same day Yahweh made a covenant with Aḇram, saying, “I have given this land to your seed, from the river of Mitsrayim to the great river, the River Euphrates,”
Yahweh also said to Yitsḥaq:
Genesis 26:2-4, “And Yahweh appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Mitsrayim, live in the land which I command you.
(3) “Sojourn in this land. And I shall be with you and bless you, for I give all these lands to you and your seed. And I shall establish the oath which I swore to Aḇraham your father.
(4) “And I shall increase your seed like the stars of the heavens, and I shall give all these lands to your seed. And in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed,”
This contract was confirmed to Yaʽaqob, Yitsḥaq’s son. Yaʽaqob had fled from his brother Esau of who had sworn to kill him. He stopped at Bethel to rest and had a dream of a ladder set upon the earth and the top reached to heaven and the angels of Yahweh ascended and descended upon it. Yahweh spoke to Jacob:
(12) And he dreamed and saw a ladder set up on the earth, and its top reached to the heavens, and saw messengers of Elohim going up and coming down on it.
(13) And see, Yahweh stood above it and said, “I am Yahweh Elohim of Aḇraham your father and the Elohim of Yitsḥaq. The land on which you are lying, I give it to you and your seed.
(14) “And your seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and you shall break forth to the west and to the east, to the north and the south. And all the clans of the earth shall be blessed in you and in your seed.
In the Scriptures, (the Bible), a similar statement was given to Mosheh, of who was Abraham’s descent 400 years later:
Deuteronomy 11:24, ‘Every place on which the sole of your foot treads is yours: from the wilderness, and Leḇanon, from the river, the River Euphrates, even to the Western Sea is your border.”
And all of this was confirmed to Yehoshua:
Joshua 1:2-4, “Mosheh My servant is dead, so now, arise, pass over this Yardĕn, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the children of Yisra’ĕl.
(3) “Every place on which the sole of your foot treads I have given you, as I spoke to Mosheh.
(4) “From the wilderness and this Leḇanon even as far as the great river, the River Euphrates, all the land of the Ḥittites, and to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun, is your border.”
By the way, the promises were given to Abraham, Yitsḥaq, Yaʽaqob and Mosheh are FOREVER!
Leviticus 26:42, “then I will remember my covenant with Ya`akov, also my covenant with Yitz'chak and my covenant with Avraham; and I will remember the land.”
***Rashi explains: “why were they (the Patriarchs) listed in reverse order? It is to tell us: Ya’akov, the youngest, is worthy of this (to bring about redemption); and if he is not (sufficiently) worthy, behold, Yitzchak is with him; and if he is not (sufficiently) worthy, behold, Avaraham is with him. ***We can now take this one step further, even if all of them are not worthy (in the eventuality that the merit of the Patriarchs has run out), still “I will remember the LAND.”*** (from Eim Habanim Semeichah by [Harav Yisachar Shlomo Teichtal]).
Another declaration made by Yahweh about 580 B.C.E:
Ezekiel 36:4, “therefore, O mountains of Yisra’ĕl, hear the word of the Master Yahweh! Thus said the Master Yahweh to the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys, and to the deserted ruins, and to the cities that have been forsaken, which became a prey and a mocking to the rest of the gentiles all around;”
This about the attitude of Yisra’el’s enemies around about the same time, the Edomites, of the land of Idumea, who intermarried with Ishmael:
Ezekiel 36:5-6, “therefore thus said the Master Yahweh, “Have I not spoken in My burning jealousy against the rest of the gentiles and against all Eḏom, who gave My land to themselves as a possession, with all joy of heart, with scorn in their being, to drive it out for a prey?” ’
(6) “Therefore prophesy concerning the land of Yisra’ĕl, and you shall say to mountains, and to hills, to rivers, and to valleys, ‘Thus said the Master Yahweh, “See, I have spoken in My jealousy and My wrath, because you have borne the shame of the gentiles.”
Many Arab’s sincerely believe this is THEIR land wrongly taught by political leaders and many Christian missionaries.
Yahweh makes a statement about Yerushalayim and Zion, of which are collective names for Israel’s people, land and city:
Zechariah 8:2-3, “Thus said Yahweh of hosts, ‘I shall be jealous for Tsiyon with great jealousy, with great wrath I shall be jealous for her.’
(3) “Thus said Yahweh, ‘I shall return to Tsiyon, and I shall dwell in the midst of Yerushalayim1. And Yerushalayim shall be called: City of the Truth, and the Mountain of Yahweh of hosts, the Set-apart Mountain.’
Zechariah 8:7-8, “Thus said Yahweh of hosts, ‘See, I am saving My people from the land of the sunrise and from the land of the sunset.
(8) ‘And I shall bring them back, and they shall dwell in the midst of Yerushalayim. And they shall be My people, and I shall be their Elohim, in truth and in righteousness.’
Future prophesies are also recorded in Zechariah:
Zechariah 12:1-14, “The message of the word of Yahweh against Yisra’ĕl. Yahweh, stretching out the heavens, and laying the foundation of the earth, and forming the spirit of man within him, declares,
(2) “See, I am making Yerushalayim a cup of reeling to all the people all around, and also against Yehuḏah it is in the siege against Yerushalayim.
(3) “And in that day it shall be that I make Yerushalayim a very heavy stone for all peoples – all lifting it are severely injured. And all the nations of the earth shall be gathered against it.
(4) “In that day,” declares Yahweh, “I smite every horse with bewilderment and its rider with madness. And on the house of Yehuḏah I open My eyes, but every horse of the peoples I smite with blindness.
(5) “And the leaders of Yehuḏah shall say in their heart, ‘The inhabitants of Yerushalayim are a strength to me, through Yahweh of hosts, their Elohim.’
(6) “In that day I make the leaders of Yehuḏah like a fire pot among trees, and like a torch of fire in the sheaves. And they shall consume all the peoples all around, on the right and on the left. And Yerushalayim shall dwell again in her own place, in Yerushalayim.
(7) “And Yahweh shall save the tents of Yehuḏah first, so that the comeliness of the house of Dawiḏ and the comeliness of the inhabitants of Yerushalayim would not become greater than that of Yehuḏah.
(8) “In that day Yahweh shall shield the inhabitants of Yerushalayim. And the feeble among them in that day shall be like Dawiḏ, and the house of Dawiḏ like Elohim, like the Messenger of Yahweh before them!
(9) “And it shall be in that day that I seek to destroy all the gentiles that come against Yerushalayim.
(10) “And I shall pour on the house of Dawiḏ and on the inhabitants of Yerushalayim a spirit of favour and prayers. And they shall look on Me whom they pierced, and they shall mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son. And they shall be in bitterness over Him as a bitterness over the first-born.
(11) “In that day the mourning in Yerushalayim is going to be great, like the mourning at Haḏaḏ Rimmon in the valley of Meḡiddo.
(12) “And the land shall mourn, every clan by itself: the clan of the house of Dawiḏ by itself, and their women by themselves; the clan of the house of Nathan by itself, and their women by themselves;
(13) the clan of the house of Lĕwi by itself, and their women by themselves; the clan of Shimʽi by itself, and their women by themselves;
(14) all the rest of the clans, every clan by itself, and their women by themselves.”
Zechariah 13:1-9, “In that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of Dawiḏ and for the inhabitants of Yerushalayim, for sin and for uncleanness.
(2) “And it shall be in that day,” declares Yahweh of hosts, “that I cut off the names of the idols from the earth1, and they shall be remembered no more, and I shall also remove the prophets and the unclean spirit from the earth. Note: 1Ex. 23:13, Dt. 12:3, Josh. 23:7, Hos. 2:17, Zeph. 3:9.
(3) “And it shall be, when one prophesies again, then his father and mother who brought him forth shall say to him, ‘You shall not to live, because you have spoken falsehood in the Name of Yahweh.’ And his father and mother who brought him forth shall pierce him through when he prophesies.
(4) “And it shall be in that day that the prophets shall be ashamed, everyone of his vision when he prophesies, and not put a hairy robe on in order to deceive,
(5) but shall say, ‘I am no prophet, I am a farmer, for a man sold me as a slave in my youth.’
(6) “And one shall say to him, ‘What are these wounds in your hands?’ And he shall say, ‘Because I was wounded at home by those who love me.’
(7) “O sword, awake against My Shepherd, against the Man who is My Companion,” declares Yahweh of hosts. “Smite the Shepherd, and let the sheep be scattered. But I shall turn My hand upon the little ones.
(8) And it shall be throughout all the soil,” declares Yahweh, “that two thirds therein are cut off and die, and one third is left therein.
(9) “And I shall bring the third into fire, and refine them as silver is refined, and try them as gold is tried. They shall call on My Name1, and I shall answer them. I shall say, ‘This is My people,’ while they say, ‘Yahweh is my Elohim.’ ” Note: 1Zeph. 3:9.
Zechariah 14:1-21, “See, a day shall come for Yahweh, and your spoil shall be divided in your midst.
(2) And I shall gather all the gentiles to battle against Yerushalayim1. And the city shall be taken, the houses plundered, and the women ravished. Half of the city shall go into exile, but the remnant of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Note: 1Joel 3:2, Zeph. 3:8, Rev. 16:14.
(3) And Yahweh shall go forth, and He shall fight against those gentiles, as He fights in the day of battle.
(4) And in that day His feet shall stand upon the Mount of Olives, which faces Yerushalayim on the east. And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two, from east to west, a very great valley, and half of the mountain shall move toward the north and half of it toward the south.
(5) And you shall flee to the valley of My mountain – for the valley of the mountains reaches to Atsal. And you shall flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziyah sovereign of Yehuḏah. And Yahweh my Elohim shall come – all the set-apart ones with You.
(6) And in that day it shall be: there is no light, it is dark.
(7) And it shall be one day which is known to Yahweh, neither day nor night, but at evening time there shall be light.
(8) And in that day it shall be that living waters flow from Yerushalayim1, half of them toward the eastern sea and half of them toward the western sea, in summer as well as in winter. Footnote: 1Rev. 22:1-2.
(9) And Yahweh shall be Sovereign over all the earth1. In that day there shall be one Yahweh, and His Name one. Note: 1Isa. 24:23, Dan. 2:44, Rev. 11:15.
(10) All the land shall be changed into a desert plain from Geḇa to Rimmon south of Yerushalayim, and she shall be raised up and inhabited in her place from Binyamin’s Gate to the place of the First Gate and the Corner Gate, and from the Tower of Ḥanan’ĕl to the winepresses of the sovereign.
(11) And they shall dwell in her, and there shall be no more utter destruction1, but Yerushalayim shall be safely inhabited. Footnote: 1Mal. 4:6.
(12) And this is the plague with which Yahweh plagues all the people who fought against Yerushalayim: their flesh shall decay while they stand on their feet, and their eyes decay in their sockets, and their tongues decay in their mouths.
(13) And it shall be in that day that a great confusion from Yahweh is among them, and everyone of them shall seize the hand of his neighbour, and his hand rise up against his neighbour’s hand.
(14) And Yehuḏah shall fight at Yerushalayim as well. And the wealth of all the gentiles round about shall be gathered together: gold, and silver, and garments in great quantities.
(15) So also is the plague on the horse and the mule, on the camel and the donkey, and on all the cattle that are in those camps – as this plague.
(16) And it shall be that all who are left from all the gentiles which came up against Yerushalayim, shall go up from year to year to bow themselves to the Sovereign, Yahweh of hosts, and to observe the Festival of Booths.
(17) And it shall be, that if anyone of the clans of the earth does not come up to Yerushalayim to bow himself to the Sovereign, Yahweh of hosts, on them there is to be no rain.
(18) And if the clan of Mitsrayim does not come up and enter in, then there is no rain. On them is the plague with which Yahweh plagues the gentiles who do not come up to observe the Festival of Booths.
(19) This is the punishment of Mitsrayim and the punishment of all the gentiles that do not come up to observe the Festival of Booths.
(20) In that day “SET-APART TO YAHWEH” shall be engraved on the bells of the horses. And the pots in the House of Yahweh shall be like the bowls before the altar.
(21) And every pot in Yerushalayim and Yehuḏah shall be set-apart to Yahweh of hosts. And all those who slaughter shall come and take them and cook in them. And there shall no longer be a merchant in the House of Yahweh of hosts, in that day.”
Prophecies from other books of the Word of Yahweh:
Amos 9:14-15, “And I shall turn back the captivity of My people Yisra’ĕl. And they shall build the waste cities and inhabit them. And they shall plant vineyards and drink wine from them, and shall make gardens and eat their fruit.
(15) “And I shall plant them on their own soil, and not uproot them any more from their own soil I have given them,” said Yahweh your Elohim!
Micah 4:6-7, “In that day,” declares Yahweh, “I gather the lame, and I bring together the outcast and those whom I have afflicted. (7) “And I shall make the lame a remnant, and the outcast a strong nation. And Yahweh shall reign over them in Mount Tsiyon1, from now on and forever. Note: 1Isa. 24:23.
Jeremiah 31:40, “And all the valley of the dead bodies and of the ashes, and all the fields as far as the wadi Qiḏron, to the corner of the Horse Gate toward the east, is to be set-apart to Yahweh. It shall not be plucked up or thrown down any more forever.”
The word “forever” in the original Hebrew text is “OLAM”, which means ETERNAL, the same word that Yahweh used concerning His own ENDLESSNESS. Elohim said I AM OLAM!
We do not take the word to mean something else according to our own liking!
“Standing before Yahweh, the Creator of the universe, from the Word of Yahweh pointing out the destiny effecting concepts clearly has recorded the final conclusion. Many will state that wrongly, with their own private opinions, which apart from the Word of Yahweh has no power of fulfillment, that the Jews have no right to use the Bible record and the Almighty to justly take this land. They speak this to their own hurt and judgment, for they speak against Yahweh the Almighty the creator of the universe and against His irreversible decrees which are for the grand purpose of blessing all people and nations.
The land which borders on the north by Lebanon and south, the river Egypt, and the east, the Euphrates River and the west, the Mediterranean Sea, has been divinely appointed to Ya’aqob, Yisra’El and his seed”, “As an everlasting possession”.
So, the next question is:
What Makes Yisra’el the Set-apart Land?
For many years folks have referred to Israel as the HOLY Land. Some question has arisen at why it is called the Holy Land and what makes it Set-apart? What makes it Set-apart is a shock, because all Believers should know why! (Believers in the One G-d of Yisra’el)
The Adversary has devised a most cleaver and subtle clearly anti-Semitic propaganda trick. To unsuspecting Christians it sounds fundamental and even biblical as a statement. It is, “The thing that makes the Holy Land holy is the blood of Christ that was shed there.”
Now, this may sound pious to some and the Christian zealot without thinking it through may say, “Oh yes that’s right.” This is extremely dangerous and can do terrible damage and it must be stoped before it wreaks more havoc.
What is it that makes the land Set-apart? Elohim Himself, who numerous times is called, “The Set-apart One of Yisra’el” in the scriptures, chose this land to be His base of world operation. Here the Almighty revealed Himself, His Word and Set-apartness in such a magnitude, as at Mt. Sinai that made the mount quake and burn with fire until all the people trembled and later indirectly through the prophets. This land is Set-apart because it was given to His people as an everlasting possession for very Set-apart purpose, primarily the giving of His Book and the Redeemer through Abraham’s seed and the manifestation of His everlasting Word of Yahweh there.
When Yahweh first called Moses through the burning fiery bush to deliver His people from Egypt, He said, “And He said, “Do not come near here. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is set-apart ground.” Or if you will….Set-apart LAND! That’s in Exodus 3:5. Why was this ground Set-apart? If anybody had seen Moses bowing and worshiping a burning bush they might have declared Moses was a fire worshiper for there was such people in those days. But, he was not, this was a manifestation of the Mighty EL.
The land is Set-apart because of the immediate majestic presence of the Eternal Elyon here in a particular manner and as He declares to Moses in
Deuteronomy 11:12, “a land which Yahweh your Elohim looks after. The eyes of Yahweh your Elohim are always on it, from the beginning of the year to the latter end of the year.”
When Joshua brought the people of Israel into the land the first time, he met a mighty warrior who was a divine manifestation of the Eternal God. He ask:
Joshua 5:13-15, “And it came to be, when Yehoshua was by Yeriḥo, that he lifted his eyes and looked and saw a Man standing opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Yehoshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?”
(14) And He said, “No, for I have now come as Captain of the host of Yahweh.” And Yehoshua fell on his face to the earth and did obeisance, and said to Him, “What is my Master saying to His servant?”
(15) And the Captain of the host of Yahweh said to Yehoshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is set-apart.” And Yehoshua did so.
What made it Set-apart? Yahweh’s mighty presence!!
The true believer, Born from Above, does not worship a man, the mere physical, but by the Ruach Hakodesh, Yahweh.
When Solomon had built the magnificent golden Hĕḵal in Yerushalayim and dedicated it unto Hahsem in 1 Kings 8 and 2 Chronicles 6, Yahweh answered this dedicatory prayer as given in 2 Chronicles 7:12-16,
2 Chronicles 7:12-16, “And Yahweh appeared to Shelomoh by night, and said to him, “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of slaughtering.
(13) “If I shut up the heavens and there is no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people,
(14) and My people upon whom My Name is called, shall humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their evil ways, then I shall hear from the heavens, and forgive their sin and heal their land.
(15) “Now, My eyes are open and My ears attentive to the prayer of this place.
(16) “And now, I have chosen and set this house apart for My Name to be there forever. And My eyes and My heart shall always be there.”
(Forever, Everlasting….the Hebrew for forever is OLAM….) This place is Set-apart because of the presence of The Creator, who is Eternal as He declared twice He has chosen it that His Name, His eyes and His heart are there, OLAM, FOREVER!!!
Yet some unknowledgeable people ridicule Jews who worship there at that spot at the Western Wall in Jerusalem and reveal their own ignorance by calling them “IDOL WORSHIPERS??!!”
The Temple in Jerusalem was a symbol of Eternal World Redemption. The “Kodesh HaKodeshim”, a type of heaven, was Set-apart because of the ‘Shekinah’, the glory of Yahweh in the cloud, the immediate presence of Yahweh. Only the High Priest could enter and that but once a year and “not without blood.” The blood did not speak of set-apartness; it spoke of sin and judgment. It spoke of the violent death and spilling of the blood of the sacrifice because of mans’ transgressions of Yahweh’s Set-apart Law. “The law is Set-apart and the commandment Set-apart, just and good.”
The blood spoke of Yahweh’s judgment and meant that the awful price of sin and death had been paid. The sacrificial lamb in itself was not Set-apart since the offering had symbolically taken on it all the sins of the people; this is why it had to be slain.
Today Orthodox Jews will not walk upon the Temple Mount area lest they trespass upon this one special Set-apart spot designated for the Kodesh HaKodeshim, upon which even the High Priest dare not tread without the blood sacrifice. If his garment had one spot, he was instantly slain. So, today the Jews elect to pray at the place as near as possible, that being the Western Wall of the Temple area. It was not the blood of the sin-sacrifice that made this spot Set-apart, but rather because of the immediate presence of Yahweh Elohim Eternal…OLAM.
As ‘shed blood’ speaks of violence, sin, death and judgment, yet when concealed within the veins of the body it speaks of life:
Leviticus 17:11, ‘For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your lives, for it is the blood that makes atonement for the life.’
No one should minimize the importance of the sacrificial Lamb of Elohim set forth in types and figures throughout the Book of Leviticus.
It was through the sprinkling of blood of the Paschal lamb upon Yisra’el’s houses which was instrumental in Bnei Yisra’el’s deliverance out of Mitsrayim bondage, according to Yahweh’s Word: “And when I see the blood, I shall pass over you.” Exodus 12:12-14 and 22-24.
This Passover redemptive experience is the greatest of all Israel’s religious observances apart from Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, which also incorporates the same truths.
When Yah'shua sat down to partake of Pesach with His emissaries, He clearly indicated in so many words that Yisra’el’s Passover was a type of world redemption and that He was the Lamb of Elohim to be slain for the sins of the whole world. When He took the matzo and the wine of the Pesach, He said, “This is my body….this is my blood.” As He revealed in John 6:33, “For the bread of Elohim is He who comes down out of the heaven and gives life to the world.” And in verse 51, “I am the living bread which came down out of the heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he shall live forever. And indeed, the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”
The bounds of redemption are now extended beyond the borders of the Bnei Yisra’el unto the whole world as Yah'shua declared in John 3:16, “For Elohim so loved the world that He gave His only brought-forth Son, so that everyone who believes in Him should not perish but possess everlasting life.” The fact that this redemption was also purchased by the blood of the Lamb of Yahweh is fully indicated in many passages in the Messianic Writings. “And He said to them, “This is My blood, that of the renewed covenant, which is shed for many.” Mark 14:24.
“Likewise the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the renewed covenant in My blood which is shed for you.” Luke 22:20
“whom Elohim set forth as an atonement, through belief in His blood, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His tolerance Elohim had passed over the sins that had taken place before, ”
“Much more then, having now been declared right by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.”
“in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of trespasses, according to the riches of His favour,”
“But now in Messiah Yahwehשע you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of the Messiah.”
“And through Him to completely restore to favour all unto Himself, whether on earth or in the heavens, having made peace through the blood of His stake.”
“So, brothers, having boldness to enter into the Set-apart Place by the blood of Yah’shua,”
“But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Yah’shua Messiah His Son cleanses us from all sin.”
(1 John 1:7)
“and from Yah’shua Messiah, the trustworthy witness, the first-born from the dead, and the ruler of the sovereigns of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,”
“And they sang a renewed song, saying, “You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals, because You were slain, and have redeemed us to Elohim by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,”
However, as important as the blood of the Sacrificial Lamb is to your salvation, still we are never told to worship the blood. Though it is the means of Salvation, yet it is certainly not to be equal to or above Yahweh Himself, lest we make it an idol. One of the great sins of Christianity is worshipping relics. No doubt if any had been able to find the actual, physical, shed blood of Yah’shua on Golgotha's hill, some would have built a shrine over it and soon been guilty of worshipping it.
Some Scriptures should not be taken literally, such as when Yah'shua said, “unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Aḏam and drink His blood, you possess no life in yourselves..” Yet even His disciples took Him literally and some still do today. They said,
John 6:61-63 “But Yah’shua knowing within Himself that His taught ones were grumbling about this, said to them, “Does this make you stumble?
(62) “What if you see the Son of Aḏam going up where He was before?
(63) “It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh does not profit at all. The words that I speak to you are Spirit and are life. “Word and Spirit are in unity.”
He is speaking of the physical token of the eternal covenant of which Isaiah wrote, “But Yahweh was pleased to crush Him, He laid sickness on Him, that when He made Himself an offering for guilt, He would see a seed, He would prolong His days and the pleasure of Yahweh prosper in His hand.” Isaiah 53:10.
Isaiah 53:12, “Therefore I give Him a portion among the great, and He divides the spoil with the strong, because He poured out His being unto death, and He was counted with the transgressors, and He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.”
Yahweh warned Israel of the danger of making a sacred relic of the brazen serpent that Elohim used in their deliverance in the wilderness. They began to worship the means in God’s hand to bring their redemption. This brought Yahweh’s judgment. Israel was rebuked by Elohim for making a shrine of Bethel where Ya'aqob had his ladder dream.
Now listen, the ‘subtility’ in saying, ‘it’s the shed blood of Moshiach alone that makes this land Set-apart, is a clear blow against the Presence of the Set-apart One of Israel, inferring that His means is greater than Himself.
It is also very subtly anti-Semitic, as Christians and others say, for since Israel has been sovereignty blinded to Messiah and His sacrificial death, the false contention is that the Jews have no Biblical claim to the land from Moshiach until now. This premise is freighted with the age long Gentile Christian conceit that finally breaks out past the bounds of prejudice, to hatred and terrible persecution. This would further hold that only the Church is (spiritual) Israel, ‘which has superseded and has taken the place of the people of Israel and therefore the land now belongs to Christians.?!
Well, this is a very self accommodating theology. Many Christians contend they alone have an eternal heaven while the Jews must contend themselves with an earthly one, the land of Israel. But, some not satisfied with that, even want to kick Israel out of their “only and temporary heaven and usurp it for themselves.”
Such a position is indefensible in the light of overwhelming Biblical evidence. The land is Set-apart because of the special Presence of the Set-apart One, the Redeemer, who pronounced it Set-apart by HIS WORD!!!!
“I bow myself toward Your set-apart Hĕḵal, And give thanks to Your Name For Your kindness and for Your truth; For You have made great Your Word, Your Name, above all.”
Baruch ata Adonai Eloheinu Melek ha’olam
1. The quality or state of being subtile; thinness; fineness; as, the subtility of air or light.
2. Refinement; extreme acuteness; subtlety.
Intelligible discourses are spoiled by too much subtility in nice divisions.
3. Cunning; skill; craft.
To learn a lewd man this subtility.
4. Slyness in design; artifice; guile; a cunning design or artifice; a trick; subtlety.
O full of all subtility and all mischief.
- Acts 13:10, “and said, “O son of the devil, filled with all deceit and all recklessness, you enemy of all righteousness, shall you not cease perverting the straight ways of Yahweh?”
1. Paralipomenon 36:9
2. Edwin Thiele, The Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings, (1st ed.; New York: Macmillan, 1951; 2d ed.; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1965; 3rd ed.; Grand Rapids: Zondervan/Kregel, 1983). ISBN 082543825X, 9780825438257, 217.
3. James B. Pritchard, ed., Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1969) 308.
4. James B. Pritchard, ed., Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1969) 308.
5. Jeremy Hughes, Secrets of the Times (Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1990) 229.
6. Thiele, Mysterious Numbers 191.
7. Parker and Dubberstein, Babylonian Chronology 28.
8. Richard Parker and Waldo Dubberstein, Babylonian Chronology 626 B.C. – A.D. 75 (Providence RI: Brown University Press, 1956) 12.
9. D. J. Wiseman, Chronicles of Chaldean Kings in the British Museum (London: Trustees of the British Museum, 1956) 73.
10. Kenneth Strand, "Thiele's Biblical Chronology As a Corrective for Extra biblical Dates," Andrews University Seminary Studies 34 (1996) 310, 317.
11. Ibid., 187.
12. Rodger C. Young, "When Did Jerusalem Fall?" Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 47 (2004) 21-38.
13. Rodger C. Young, "Evidence for Inerrancy from a Second Unexpected Source: the Jubilee and Sabbatical Cycles" Bible and Spade 21 (2008) 109-122.
14. Ibid., 121 n. 7.
15. Leslie McFall, “A Translation Guide to the Chronological Data in Kings and Chronicles,” Bibliotheca Sacra 148 (1991) 40, 45.
16. Jack Finegan, Handbook of Biblical Chronology (rev. ed.; Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1998) 257-259.
17. (1 Chronicles 3:16, 2 Kings 24:6-8)
18. The Scriptures 1998, Institute for Scripture Research, South Africa
19. Eim Habanim Semeichah (on Eretz Yisrael, Redemption and Unity) Harav Yisachar Shlomo Teichtal
20. Israel Gods Key to World Redemption, Elmer A. Josephson
©2007 Beyth Lechem